Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Rudder Bar Parts Finished


 The only complex part is the diagonal brace for the Clip (bracket) which the brake cable attaches to.  John is planning to install hydraulic brakes.  I've drawn both brackets and drilled the hole 1/2", my largest drill size.  The big hole fits loosely over the end of the small end of the "L" shaped brake pedal tube (5/8").  I drilled the holes before using the band saw to cut to the parts because it's easier to hold a bigger piece of metal.

You can see in the picture I scribed a line for the 11/16" hole.
 With the parts cut out,  I clamped them in the vise and used a rat tail file to open the holes to the line.  By using as large a file as will fit it's easier to get a round hole.

After filing I used a 5/8" sanding drum to smooth the holes and then deburred the edges.


 There is a drawing which says to bend the end with the hole 55 degrees and one which says 60 degrees.  I chose 60 degrees since it was the later drawing and I assume they simply corrected an error in the original design, who knows.  I could have drawn this all out in 3D CAD but decided it was quicker to make new parts if I'm wrong.

I made a form block for the bend from a piece of Oak.  I gripped the hole end because of the very short space from the hole to the bend.  This probably would have worked better with a steel block to grip that short section better.

 For the long bend I made a steel block by grinding a 3 degree bevel on a piece of 1/2" x 1" bar stock and the putting a 1/16" radius on the corner. The ends of the block had to be cut to fit the angle of the end with the hole.  Because this is 0.065" steel, I had to support the block in the vice with a piece of wood.  As with other parts I used a piece of hardwood to hammer the bend.
 Here are all the parts for the Brake Pedal Rudder Bar.  The are a few pieces for the cable pulley which I did not make because John will be using hydraulic brakes.
 The pedal parts.  The drawing says to weld the diagonal brace to the bracket after the pedal is installed on the rudder bar.  The end with the hole slips over the tube and is held in place with a cotter pin.

The partial washers at the end of the pedal are to keep the heel from sliding off.
I found a later drawing which show that I formed the bullet end the way they did it at the factory, very cool.
 This photo shows the pedal bearing tube and it's brace bracket.  The small tube to the left of it is a stop for the pedal.  It's not clear from the drawing how it mounts.  I assume it will be obvious once the pedal is welded on.
This is the Rudder Bar Pivot Bearing.  Not only is it a heavier tube than the standard bearing it also gets an extra brace made from 0.065" sheet steel.

The next task is to weld all these.







No comments:

Post a Comment