Friday, December 11, 2020

Fuselage In Attic To Start Repairs

 I've spent the summer and fall working on and flying our old Fly Baby.  I've had a lot of little problems with things that worked when I took the plane apart, in 1994.  Now I have an ignition problem.  

While I work on it I keep waiting for Aircraft Spruce to ship my wing spars.  The problem is there was a forest fire which has disrupted their wood supply.  They still aren't getting spar quality wood.

Since I can't work on the wings I've decided to start on the fuselage.

I didn't want to bring it to the attic earlier because it takes up too much space.  A while back I cut a big hole in the piece of plywood the bolted on the front in 1939, after cutting off the front half of the fuselage.

I haven't taken anything off for fear of losing things.  I haven't even sat in the seat.  I need to see if I fit in this thing.

My next project is to start documenting everything as I slowly take it all apart.  This will mean lots of photos and drawings.   I may work on making/repairing things as I take them off.  There are a lot of little things to work on, should be fun.

I made the entrance door to the attic 42" wide when I built the house so the fuselage would fit.  Other than the work of carrying it up a lot of steps, getting it in the attic worked out fine.  A nice winter project.


No comments:

Post a Comment