Thursday, December 9, 2021

Improvement to Shopsmith Planer Knife Adjustment Gauge 513414

 The instructions for the new Knife Gauge involved scribing some lines on both sides of the gauge.  I'm good but I don't think I can scribe lines on both sides, 7/16" from the corner and then 1/32" either side of that line.  Instead I decided to print a label using vinyl vehicle wrap material.  The idea was to print a label which can be wrapped around the gauge so both sides are really aligned.

The label is 3/4" wide by 1 1/16" long before folding around the gauge.  I printed these on 30" wide vinyl so I have a lot of stickers.  I'll give the leftovers to Shopsmith to tryout.

My brand new planer knife touches the gauge at the 1/32" mark before the (7/16") Zero Line.  I like it.
I had to clean the gauge with alcohol to get the label to stick.  A craft knife or razor blade is needed to trim the label after installation, keep reading.

The label is stuck to a transparent transfer film, the long end is pointing left.  The edge of the gauge is aligned with the left line near the center of the label.

I rubbed the first half of the label down tight with the back of my finger nail, then gently peeled up the transfer tape as I worked the label around the gauge.

The 2 lines align with the edges of the gauge.


I used the razor blade to trim off this edge of the label where the planer knife must touch the gauge for accuracy.

This leaves labels on each side perfectly aligned with each other.

The right and left sides of the gauge with the label applied.

If the gauge is heated to about 250°F then cooled the label will adhere even better.


No comments:

Post a Comment