Monday, April 27, 2020

Wing Rib Gusset Problem & Wing Walk Outboard Rib Wire Holes


 For the wing ribs on the follow-on Model TEN, the WACO factory added a gusset to the center of the long middle bay on the ribs.  As long as the bay was I'm sure they had the cap strips bend or even break.  The gusset really stiffens it up.

Unfortunately the gusset interferes with some of the drag wires on the Model NINE.  Had I thought about it I would have re-positioned some of the gussets to assure they cleared the wires.  Oh Well.

 At this point all I could do was file some notches in the gussets to clear the wires.  I used a 1/4" chain saw file.  Eventually I got bored and switched to the small sanding drum on the Dremel tool.
 The notches on some of the gussets were so deep I added another piece of gusset .

This is the outboard bay.

 The center bay


 The inboard bay.


 The drawing for the outboard wing walk rib showed hole locations for the drag wires.  I wasn't convinced they were right so I waited until I was ready to install it to saw the holes.  I'm glad I waited.  They were way off.  They were probably the the locations for the model TEN.

The rib fits nice.


No comments:

Post a Comment