Sunday, March 15, 2020

First Rear Spar Started and More Thoughts On Routing


 I found there was a lot of leakage of chips even with the airflow in to the vacuum.  A little duct tape to seal the gaps really cut it down. I forgot to include the pictures in the last post.

 I tried using my small box plane to smooth the ridges left from routing.  It scratched the corner 3/8" radius so I mounted the belt sander and rounded the corners of the plane to about a 1/8" radius.  It solved the problem and is much quicker than sanding where it can be used.  It won't fit in the rear spars but works great on the front spars, which are now all done.

 I forgot to say, I'm using 3M Sandblaster 150 grit paper for the final sanding.  It works way better than conventional sand paper.
 To sand the rear spars I needed a block which fit the routed groove.  It turned out a piece of 2x4, I had cut in half, fit perfectly.










I discovered the angle I cut on the top of the rear spars was off slightly and I couldn't quite get the ribs on.  This time I made a gauge to set the angle of the saw blade.  I took 1/32" more off the short side.  When the 2 replacement spars arrive I'll do them correctly the first time.

All the front spars are done and the first side of a rear spar is done.  Looking good.

No comments:

Post a Comment