Monday, April 20, 2020

Wires for Upper Wing Also Fit Checked

I decided I wanted to finish the drag wires for all 4 wing panels, while I remember what I'm doing.  The only way to be sure the wires will fit in the upper wings was to assemble one wing far enough to install the wires for a test fit.
 The first step was to install the fittings for the interplane struts.
 I did this a little different than on the first lower wing.  I started by pushing the end with the 3/8" bolt down, rather then the whole fitting.  It made it easier to wiggle it into position to install the bolt.  With the bolt in, the fitting was rotated to align the other bolt holes.  Again all the care to drill well aligned holes paid off, the bolts all fit perfectly.


 One of the full ribs on this wing is used as a compression strut, more on that later.  This rib needs the vertical stick notched for the drag wire clip.  I marked both sticks but only the interior sticks at the front and rear spars need the notch.  The clips are only on the wire side of the spar.  I cut the notches with a coping saw, quick and easy.
 I know this looks odd but the upper wing ribs end at the rear spar, in the area of the aileron.  The aileron hinges bolt directly to the rear spar.

It seemed to me easier to snap the rear spar into the ends of the ribs once the first full rib was started onto the spars.

You have to carefully spring the ends of the ribs open slightly to get the spar in.  I started that at the root end and worked one rib at a time to toward the wing tip.
I worried about breaking a rib but it worked out as well as I had hoped.


 With all the ribs on I started installing the wires only to discover I forgot to drill one bolt hole on the rear spar near the wing tip.
 I found it easier to install the wires with the wing upside down.

Adding the missing hole was easy enough using my Port-A-Lign to get a good square hole.

As with the lower wing all the wires fit perfect using the drawing dimensions.

I'll finish all the wires, then get back to wing assembly.

No comments:

Post a Comment