Friday, May 22, 2020

Lower Left Wing - Aft Portion of Heavy Compression Rib

I'm Back working on the lower left wing.
 There is no aileron on the lower wing so the ribs all continue to the trailing edge.  The heavy compression rib has the aft portion of a light rib to complete it.

 The ends of of the cap strips continue forward of the aft spar and are clued to the side of the heavy compression rib.

Those cheap clamps are so handy.

 The strut fittings get all the blocking like on the forward spar of the upper wing.

 I like the little support blocks for all the free ends of the blocks.  Forward outboard corner of the aft spar.

 Aft outboard corner of the aft spar.


Aft inboard corner of the aft spar.

 In the forward inboard corner there is also the aileron cable pulley support bracket.  There is another bracket that mounts in this and holds the pulleys.  The lower bolt is actually in the little block below the spar.
 I used a piece of scrap from the tip of the spar to make the block.  The bolt hole is at the edge of the block so I drilled it before cutting the block to thickness.  The idea was that the hole was less likely to wander out the side if I drilled it in the middle of the block.  It also gave me a wider area to set flat on the table of the drill press.  I still used a square behind the block to help keep the hole square.

You can see, by sawing it after drilling, that the hole is right at the edge and pretty straight.


 I could have made a clean cut for the angled sides using the table saw but I'm sure it would have cost me a finger doing the second side of the triangle.  Instead I used the band saw to make a rough cut and sanded it on the belt sander with a square push block behind it.  A blood free operation and a nice smooth radius at the top.


 The block is glued and clamped to the lower face of the spar.  The position is controlled by the bracket. 

The only down side to what I did was the bracket, backing plate and lower bolt are all glued in position.  I should have nailed the block to the spar, after clamping, to assure it wouldn't move, and then removed the bolt and parts.  There is no reason to remove them but I don't like them glued in place.  Hopefully I'll remember on the next wing.  I did discover another error on the wing drawing.  There is some wood needed to create an opening for the aileron pulleys, and to attach the cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment