Saturday, July 4, 2020

Upper Right Wing - First Tip Bow Lamination Glued in Place



 I decided to do this bow slightly differently then the one on the lower wing.  Now that I have an idea how it all fits I've put the glue blocks on the ribs and spars first, then glued on the lamination.  The risk is if I over grind a block, trying to get a good fit, there's no putting the wood back on.


 The blocks on the nose ribs are easy, they just have to be positioned carefully.  The pin nailer helps keep them from sliding under the clamps.

For the spars I used the old bow to draw some guide lines then added blocks to give a good sized surface for the lamination to glue to.

I only did the forward block on the front spar since it was easy and this bow doesn't get the ground handling like the lower wings.

On the upper wings the tip bow ends at the rear spar because of the elephant ear ailerons so there can only be the block on the front side.








 A rough cut was made on the blocks and the first lamination clamped in place.  The square was used again to get the correct wide point in the bow.  The little clamp is my guide.


 With the lamination in place, pencil cut marks were made. 
I then ground of a little and did a fit check until It fit snug to the block.

An inspection mirror was handy to see the gap better.








 Once the grinding was done, so the lamination fit, the extra wood was ground off the top and bottom, and the corners chamfered.


 The process was repeated for the rear spar.

The band file worked well to remove excess wood at the corner, right into the trash bin.





 The lamination was glued in place, nailed to prevent sliding under the clamps, and clamped snug.

Once the glue is set I'll add the next 2 laminations.







No comments:

Post a Comment