Sunday, February 16, 2020

Spar Drilling Done - Slight Issues with Wider Front Spars


 With the wider front spars the the long 5/16" drill bit won't drill all the way through, after drilling the 1/4" hole.  The quill on the headstock doesn't travel that far.

I've been using a short 5/16" bit to get a more centered start to the hole.  I found if I drill it 3/4" to 1" deep, then start the long bit near the bottom of that hole, it goes all the way through in one pass.  I use a lot of short in and out strokes to keep chips cleared.


 My last step has been to use a "P" drill to open the hole a few thousandths.  The holes wandered just enough, from each end, to still leave the hole slightly tight in the middle.  I found that if I gently tapped the 5/16" chain saw file through the hole it cleared the slight bend and the 5/16" bit, being used as a gauge, fits perfect.  It can't have taken off much.

All the holes are drilled.  On to routing the spars.

No comments:

Post a Comment