Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Lower Left Wing - Wing Walk Center Structure


While I've been working on the outboard compression rib I've also been working on the root end of the wing.  It just seemed confusing to jump back and forth.  Like the upper wing the root rib is solid 1/4" thick spruce.  It forms the inboard structure for the wing walk and acts as a compression rib.
Unlike the upper wing there is just one small compression member glued to the rib.  It's glued to the rib in the same positioned  as the stick on the light ribs, so the angle on the ends of the stick are the same.


Before installing the rib I made the cross members which support the plywood walkway.  I figured it would be easier to fit them to the slots in the ribs with the ribs off the wing, and it was.

The support sticks are cut so they are deeper in the middle which meant cutting a shallow angle on each end.

I ended up making a jig to use on the table saw but I was not happy holding the sticks with my fingers so close to the blade.  There is probably a better way to do this.


The slots were band sawed close to size and then filed with a 10" bastard to get a nice fit.  Much easier off the wing.  I had to unbolt the root ends of the wires to get the center section of the rib off the wing, but it was worth the time.

The support members stick out past the outboard rib because the walk is 12" wide and the rib is at about 11".

With the slots finished the rib was glued and nailed to the ends of the spars.  I used the same nail pattern as the upper rib.

Unlike the upper rib this one gets a capstrip on the lower edge of the rib and the plywood walk is glued to the upper edge.


The rib on the outboard side of the walk is made from three pieces of 1/4" spruce.  I glued on the center section with corner blocks.  The walk supports were glued in the slots at the same time, to assure everything was aligned.


No comments:

Post a Comment