Monday, June 8, 2020

Sawing Wing Tip Bow Laminations and Leading edge


 The laminations for the wing tip bow are cut.  I used the section of the bad spar between the defects.  The laminations are 3/16" thick so I couldn't get all of them from a 4" wide board.  I made the others from a piece of 1" spruce.  The last lamination doesn't need to be the full 1 1/8" width.

It does seem odd to take a board, slice it into strips, then glue them all back together.  The lower wing strips are 8' 6" long and the upper wing strips are 6' 10" long.

 For the leading edge sticks I had bought boards wider than I needed for the spars so I could use the excess for pieces like this. I had a plan to saw these to near net shape with 3 saw cuts.  I couldn't figure out how to support the wood for 3 cuts so I ended up doing it with 2 cuts.  I set the table to 48 degrees, that's all it's got.  The first cut was with the 1/2" face against the fence and leaving about 3/32" uncut on the opposite face.  The 2nd cut was made with the 1 1/16" face against the fence and about 1/32" uncut on the 1/2" face.

It all worked.  I should be able to finish the shape using a plane and a template after the stick is glued to the nose ribs


No comments:

Post a Comment