Thursday, June 4, 2020

Lower Left Wing - Wing Walk Plywood Nose Support


The nose ribs need some blocks between them to attach the plywood for the wing walk.  The drawing isn't clear on how this is done.  I decided I needed the blocks square to the leading piece so I could tie them together with some glue blocks.

I need to cut off a big triangle.

I decided the easiest way to remove the wood on the small block was to plane it off.  I clamped a couple pieces of wood on my bench hook to help hold the block for sliding sideways.  The plane needs to clear the stop block on the hook.

A minutes work and the job is done.  I left a little to remove after gluing it in place just to be sure it fits well.

A nice fit, now one more for the other rib gap.

It made it easy to fit the blocks for gluing the leading edge to the ribs since the bottom end is square.


A little clean up with the band file after the glue set and they're done.


The block I'll use behind the leading edge when I glue it on.  I won't install them until the leading edge is on so it's easier to get a good fit.
Now we can put the capstrip on the bottom of the other rib.  On the next wing I'll put all the blocks in before putting on the capstrips for both ribs.



 The nose and center portions are done.

 I've still got some more blocks to put in for attaching the plywood at the trailing edge of the wing walk.  I'll also need to varnish some of this before attaching the plywood to the top of the ribs.



No comments:

Post a Comment