Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Lower Left Wing - Wing Walk Nose and Tail Ribs


Another good example of how it's easier going a little slower.  With the center porting of the ribs done it's easier to clamp the aft portion and the nose ribs in place.

I guess I should have bought more clamps.  I only have enough to do the lower capstrip on one rib at a time.
I'm glad I didn't do both capstrips.  It's easier to fit the diagonal braces from the spar to the aft wing walk support.

I clamped one to the rib as close as I could to the angle it will be installed, just offset to clear the support and the spar.
The diagonal is at an angle to the support.  If I left the end square there would be a gap.

By using a thin block of wood held to the support I drew a cut line on the diagonal.


At the front spar the block allows a line which at the face of the spar, so the aft end has to be cut and placed touching the support to get the length right.  Better to be a little long and grind it down to fit tight.

With one made, the other 2 are the same length and angles.


The ones against the ribs need a notch at the forward end for the rib corner block.  With the band saw, band file and bastard file I got them both to fit tight.

All glued and clamped.

No comments:

Post a Comment