Saturday, June 13, 2020

Lower Left Wing - Wing Walk Finished


 I've trimmed the plywood along the root rib and leading edge.  I'll be more careful on the next one to keep the rib even with the edge of the plywood.  The top edge of the center section of the rib is bowed in about 3/32" in the middle.

I had a few nails come out of the side of the rib.  I've pulled them.  The rest will remain.  I've tapped them down flush so they won't wear through the fabric.


 You can see what the underside of the structure looks like.

 Once the leading edge is on I'll get it all varnished.


 There is good glue squeeze out along all the joints so they should all be good and strong.
 I tried using the band file to grind down the glue squeeze at the splice, bad plan.  I over did it a bit in a couple spots.  On the next wing I'll stick with a regular file and sanding block.

You can see the direction of the splice in this last picture.  The nose is to the right and the trailing edge to the left.

No comments:

Post a Comment